Is anyone else in disbelief that July is here already besides me?! I'm so not ready to start thinking about back-to-school. Yes, we start school early here in the Carolinas. So, next month it'll be back to setting three alarms to make sure we make it out of the house on time for school. Anyways, since I haven't really been on the blog much this week, I thought I'd stop by for a Random Ramblings post to keep you guys up to speed on what we've been up to.
|Thanks to Kokoa Magazine for this awesome free printable that was in their newsletter today!|
- Uniforms: Speaking of going back to school, I still haven't heard from Moo's school on whether or not they will have to wear uniforms. They needed at least 70% of the parents to vote in order to get uniforms and last I heard less than 50% had responded. I'm thinking about making drive over to the school on Friday morning to see if the main office is open because who has time to wait until the last minute to shop for uniforms?
- Parrot: JJ's speech therapist pointed out that he's getting really good at repeating people. Oh boy, she has no idea that my little guy is a total parrot. Seriously, we're at the stage where we are definitely thinking twice about what we say before we say it in front of him. Moo said not really one and it's been his favorite phrase for the last two weeks. So, if I say are you hungry his response is "Not really." He also heard the Mr say shut up and now he's repeating that. I can't even get started on how much I cringe when he says that. Needless to say someone has been spending a lot of time in time out.
- Fitness: I've been working out on getting in better shape. I think my trip to Atlanta was the first time I didn't feel I needed to suck everything in. I actually looked great in my dress from PinkBasis (I'll upload a pic in my official recap because I'm still waiting for Coca-Cola to email them).
- Fan Girl Moment: Speaking of Atlanta and the Coca-Cola Art of Entrepreneurship event, I had a total fan girl moment when I got to meet some of my favorite bloggers in person: Brandi from Mama Knows It All, Makeba from MelisaSource, Renee from Cutie Booty Cakes, and Sojourner from Married With Two Boys. I think it played it cool. I got to talk to each of these ladies one on one and can say that they are as awesome and sweet in person as they are on their blogs!
- #100Books: The kids and I have read over 50 books already this summer. So we're more than halfway finished with our 100 Books Family Summer Reading Challenge!! I'm super excited. we've marked a lot of books off our book bucket list too. And I'm almost caught up on the James Patterson Women's Murder Club series.
- Speaking Out: Last night Awesomely Luvvie went on a Twitter rant specifically calling out Black beauty bloggers on how many of them aren't using their voices and influence to show support/unity or raise awareness about some of the social injustice happening right now in the Black community. Her rant ruffled a lot of feathers and to say that many of my majority blog groups were buzzing about this would be an understatement. I totally get where Luvvie is coming from. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, anyone identifying as a Christian needs to remember that we are the keeper of our brother or sister, blood related or not. The Bible calls us to help/support our brothers and sisters when see them in need or trouble not turn a blind eye or keep on like it's business as usual. So, I don't think it's asking too much for any Black person period to show support. It could as simple as posting "I'm praying for the Black community" or "RIP to the #EmanuelNine." It only takes a moment to show support and unity. Below are a few of my favorite tweets from her rant.
I am not asking for people to become activists and "do work." I am saying the LEAST you can do is throw up a hashtag. Too much? Oh.— Awesomely Luvvie (@Luvvie) July 1, 2015
We cannot speak up about any and everything bad that happens in the world. We can choose our battles but some of yall ain't even in the ring— Awesomely Luvvie (@Luvvie) July 1, 2015
I am raging b/c we don't have the right to shut up. We cannot afford to shut up. The LEAST we can do is not shut up.— Awesomely Luvvie (@Luvvie) July 1, 2015
What's new with you this week?